October 02, 2011

People: The True New Orleans

New Orleans Resident
When I used to think of New Orleans, a few things came to mind: Mardi Gras, drinking on Bourbon Street, debauchery, gumbo, and flood/hurricane damage.  While on a work trip in March of 2009, I had the opportunity to spend a long day in the Big Easy and experience what I wanted to.  What I found during my wanderings of the streets and sounds of this old port town was that it wasn’t restaurants, parties, or even the restored buildings that give New Orleans its true character; it is the people that do.
Sugar Covered Beignets

As I stated, I was in the area for work, so my day started with a peer.  Our first stop was at Café Du Monde, just off Jackson Square; the only touristy stop that I made.  I had to stop for the doughy, sugary goodness that I had seen on Travel Channel’s Doughnut Paradise. We found a seat rather quickly (surprisingly due to the crowd), and my coworker ordered for us. You see, he and the majority of the wait staff are both Vietnamese.  As he explained on the drive in, many Vietnamese people came to New Orleans during the early and mid 70’s because of their experience in fishing and shrimping.   The port town offered many opportunities for them to work and make a run at the American dream. He was able to order for us in Vietnamese, and that got us very quick service.  I would highly recommend visiting this establishment for the beignet and café au lait.  Regardless of how you take your coffee, just drink it their way.  It complements the pastries in a way that is music in your mouth: sweet, strong, and just beautiful.

High(?) Wire Violinist
Mid Air Spin from a Dragon Master
Cowboy Guarded Smoke Break
We wandered less than a block southwest along Decatur from the café to an outdoor ampitheatre attached to the French Quarter Visitor’s Center.  A huge crowd was gathering to watch a few young gentlemen from Dragon Master Showcase put on a street gymnastics performance that blew me away.  They mixed humor, showmanship, and pure athleticism into a crowd pleasing show for all ages.


Meschiya Lake & Band
From here, my compatriot from work and I went our own ways.  I wandered the streets to find a mix of sights and sounds I could never have imagined.  It was like vaudeville had never died; it has only moved to the streets of New Orleans to thrive and live peacefully among the artists and shopkeepers of the city.  My favorite of the day was this Zydeco Jazz style band performing on the street behind St. Louis Cathedral. A tattooed, pierced, and slightly hipster looking group of rag tag musicians had such a full sound in the open air that it made me feel just happy.  They were fronted by Miss Meschiya Lake; a petite woman with a voice that could fill the souls of the masses of New Orleans.  I will definitely seek them out if ever down there again. More photos of their street performance can be found at this link.  

Trombone Soloist
Balloon Artist





After purchasing a CD in thanks for letting me take their photos (I HIGHLY recommend tipping or purchasing things from street performers if you’re going to take their photos; it’s only fair), I continued along my way. The rest of the afternoon I found various other bands, musicians, and even a group of skateboarders using planters for their thrills. By the time dark rolled around, I had taken hundreds of photos, listened to some amazing music, and ate some great local food. All provided by the heart, soul, and lifeblood of New Orleans: its people.

Heavy Brass Sounds
Musical Couple
Amateur New Orleans Skater
If you'd like to see more photos from this day in New Orleans, please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/BDP-NewOrleans.



No comments:

Post a Comment